May 29, 2003 (Day 40)
Today was Sara's turn at the Vet. She was scheduled to be spayed, since we were positive she was pregnant (just a feeling, not anything she was actually indicating but you know how instincts can be). Today was a day of BAD NEWS.
Initially, Sara got her shots so she was brought up-to-date. The Vet found a hookworm egg (only one), so she needs treated again, and that means so does Tyler and Gunny. One more dose should take care of those nasty things for good.
Now for the bad news.... Sara's heartworm test was positive, and the check for adult worms was also positive. Sara is a very sick girl. The Vet called and asked if we still wanted to have her spayed due to the risk of complications from the heartworms, so we had to make a choice..... spay and risk losing her, or let her have the pups and risk her loss from the stress (or increase the damage to her heart from stress of childbirth and the delay that would result during nursing).
After discussing it with the Vet, we chose to terminate the preganacy. We all felt that letting her have the pups would risk her life and that in her weakened condition, she probably would not survive delivery.
Sara went through surgery ok, but due to the chance of her passing a blood clot or bleeding, she is staying at the Vet overnight. Tyler and Gunny are totally in a panic, and Gunny refuses to eat. I hope Sara makes it..... These boys need her.